Thursday, June 13, 2013

NINJA

I went to the Ninja restaurant and I must say, that was the happiest day of my life! If I must recommend any restaurant in Japan, it will be this one. It was that good. From the food to the service, the show--everything was just so amazing. Upon entering the restaurant, all the way to the very last second, I must have smiled for three hours straight because my cheekbones were sore!
For those who plan to go, please stop here, because this will spoil the experience!!!!
When we went in, we confirmed our reservation with the host and she summoned our ninja waitress, who dropped down from the ceiling out of nowhere. She then proceeded to bring us down a narrow tunnel where there were waterfalls and windows through which we could see ninja at work. We then reached our biggest obstacle: a giant hole in the ground, with no way to cross it. The ninja told us to chant "nin-nin!" all together and then a bridge magically formed! So we made it safely across. Of course, the bridge crossed off once we were inside, sealing us off from the rest of the world. It was a cool feeling, thinking we were in a secret society underground.
We were brought to our table, where we were handed our drink menus. We were also told that when we have decided what we wanted to press the service button. Except the button was nowhere to be found! LOL So obstacle number two: find the button. It was so embarrassing. The place was really dark, so I was feeling all over the walls and ceiling for it and can you guess where it was? Under the table. haha My friend actually resorted to looking for it in the shoyu bottle, so she flipped the jar over and spilled everything.
Anyway, so we ordered our drinks and the ninja brought us the food menu, which was a black scroll (really cool).
The Three Beauties: Cleopatra, Madame Yang, Komachi
for kids!
 
Calpis, orange juice, and yogurt sherbet, with mandarin orange slices and mint leaves for garnish.
It was difficult deciding what to eat. You can order a la carte or by courses. We decided on Yamatodamashii Course, which was an eleven-meal course (¥7777). Yes, the prices are pretty high, but it was so worth it. The food was a mixture of Japanese, Chinese, French, and Italian cuisine. Really unique, really good ingredients, and really delicious.
壱品目
手裏剣グリッシーニ
Shuriken star-blades grissini
弐品目
忍びの衆(シュー) 暗黒サーモンタルタル冷菜
Salmon tartare incognito
参品目
サザエ爆弾焼き エスカルゴもどき
Turban shell bombs with garlic butter
It was on fire!
The snail was soooooo good. 
四品目
幻の…
Mystery Dish
This was the mystery dish, which was a black croquette, which rice, cabbage, meat, and corn inside. There was a sauce with garlic and purple sweet potato. Really interesting. I wondered why it was black, though (it's not burnt), so I asked the waitress and she told me it was made of the same thing the shuriken grissini was made of.
五品目
夏味の和え物 泡仕立て
Summer vegetable cocktail topped with whipped Japanese stock 
Interesting taste. Not everyone will like it because it has a sour tinge to it, but I found it okay. It reminded me of mozoku, the Okinawan seaweed
六品目
名物 灼熱投石鍋 葉隠之術(和風ブイヤベース)

Special stone-boiled soup (Japanese bouillabaisse)
This soup was so healthy! There were three kinds of leaves including spinach and pork. The soup base was soy milk and it tasted amazing. The best thing about it was the presentation. They cooked it in front us with a giant black stone, which was probably heated really high because it immediately brought everything to a boil!
七品目
お楽しみ
Today's Special
Which was sashimi. There was a whole tomato under it and it tasted so fresh! It was probably the best tomato I ever had haha, but it tasted like it was drowned in sugar.
八品目
夏味のアイスキャンディ
Sherbet candy in summer flavors
Ice candy made of black tea.
Next up was our "main" course, which they call the meat specialty or seafood specialty of the day. 
九品目
本日の肉料理
または 本日の魚料理(各種)
The were four things to choose from.
The sweet and sour pork. There were peppers, asparagus, and, of course, pork! It was a Chinese dish, so eating it sort of made me feel nostalgic for my mom's cooking. =/ 
Yuzu Codfish
Codfish with yuzu, which is a Japanese citrus fruit, and I think it was basil.
Foie Gras
My dish! It was veal with tomato, broccoli, cauliflower, and potato. There was a sauce topped with chopped garlic. Reallllllllly delicious. It left quite the impression. ;)
拾品目
特選握り寿司とロール寿司
Special Sushi & Sushi Roll
sooooooo good! There were three sushi: tamago with mushroom pieces, ika, and toro, and two sushi rolls.
and this sushi roll is no ordinary roll. There were four types of sashimi fish wrapped inside, alongside avocado, cucumber, and ikura. Over the nori, there was also daikon. Everything blended in really well. The fish and avocado just melted together and..... <3
 
拾壱品目
本日のデザート
Today's dessert
Blueberry cheesecake with chocolate brownie
It had two faces!
 
coffee or tea?
Besides the food, there was also a magic show, where the ninja master actually comes to our table and performs for us. I must say, I believe in magic now. It was so amazing--the best magic show I've ever seen. I had no idea what was going on because things were just appearing and disappearing in front of my eyes. He performed this coin trick, where there were three coins and then all of a sudden another coin appeared under my friend's watch! which was tied onto her wrist pretty tightly! How could she not have felt that?? And also another trick with cards. He laid the card down and then pointed at it and I watched as a giant coin, which was bigger than the card, appeared underneath it. I have no idea where it could have possibly come from. I literally watched it appear out of nowhere. There was also one other trick with card, where he made me choose a random card from the deck and sign it. As he told me to push the card back into the deck, he shuffled and then the card appeared in his pocket! It was so weird. It happened twice. And finally, what struck me strangest was that he held the entire deck of cards in his hands, palms horizontal, holding the cards. As he pressed his hands together, I watched intently his hands and his body, and somehow the cards disappeared one by one. It was mind-blowing.

I also lied today. I told them it was my birthday when it wasn't because I wanted special treatment. For the dessert, they designed mine with a chocolate reading "Happy Birthday Alice" as well as a candle stuck into a strawberry. The ninja crew brought it in and sung happy birthday for me and took a group photo for us, which they also gave us the photo before we left as a gift. I was so happy. I felt bad for lying, but I was thinking that since I won't be here in Japan during my birthday, I'm simply just celebrating early. Or is that a poor excuse for a lie?
Anyway, the bill totaled to ¥28,871, which is about $300. It looks scary and it probably appears really expensive, however, it was worth every penny because you can't think of it as merely dinner. It was a show; it was the best entertainment, full of surprises; truly a land of happiness.
And right when we left, one of the ninja stopped us for our final surprise: a giant scroll, which unraveled to Happy Birthday! so sweet. I was really really happy.
Aren't their uniforms cool?

No comments:

Post a Comment