Thursday, June 20, 2013

going to prison

Another one of Tokyo's themed restaurants, Alcatraz ER is a medical prison restaurant, where waitresses are dressed as nurses and customers are locked up in jail cells.
The restaurant is located in Shibuya, in a pretty shady area full of love hotels.
and this is a poster of the place.
From the moment you get out of the elevator, you are faced with these creepy decorations.
Even the restroom was designed as a prison.
So after you're seated (which we were seated on the second level), they give you the menu, which have  the most bizarre names for food I've ever seen. Some of the things on the menu just grossed me out because they were made to look so real. It was actually the first time where I was unable to order something because of the way it looked.
The seats were like a cubicle, surrounded by bars, so it really seemed like you were sitting in a prison cell. You could see out and below through the bars and to order, you had to actually hit the bar with a metal chain attached to it.
My drink: 脳内パーティ, which they call Brain Juice in English. It was a drink placed inside a human head (fake, of course). I ordered it more for the packaging rather than what it was. The drink itself was not so good.
人体実験 Human Experiment
They bring you everything in tubes and syringes and you mix the drink yourself.
チヂミThis was actually pretty good.
 
and the thinnest pizza in the world. I felt like I was eating a cheese cracker; fries
boobs fried rice
This was actually surprisingly good. If I had to recommend one item on the menu, it'd be this one.
Russian Takoyaki
Basically, like a russian roulette. It comes in an order of six and one of them is completely filled with wasabi. Pass it around the table and see who's lucky.
and this is the lucky winner ahha
So regarding the drinks, everything on the menu is kind of sexual: the names of the drinks, how they're presented, etc. For example we ordered one drink called ひとりあそび, which translates to playing with yourself, and it's a red cocktail that is garnished with a slice of orange. It comes with a vibrator that you're supposed to use to stir the contents. As you do that, the waiter/waitress who brings the drink makes weird sounds and makes you do stuff that is not appropriate to show or write on this blog lol.
and this is what I like to call the penis colada, because that's exactly what it is. The actual name of the drink is called sperm juice, which is oh, so unappetizing. I couldn't muster up the courage to order this, especially when they feed you and stuff. egg 
blue curry
It looked so weird, but it's just curry; nothing special. 
and desert: green tea, black sesame, and vanilla.
So my thoughts on this restaurant: It's really unique; I've never been to any like it, but it's not my type of atmosphere. It was too much for me and the sexual psycho prison theme isn't my style. I do appreciate the effort they put into designing the restaurant and menu, though. But for me, once is enough. I also kind of feel that this is a place appealing more towards guys. The waitresses were dressed as nurses, but their uniforms were really skimpy and also the presentations of the food was something else. Throughout your stay here, there are also times were the entire place blacks out and red lights flash, and they have people come by and scare you. That part was fun, but since we were seated at the top, nothing came to us.

2 comments:

  1. alice if a complete stranger ask to go to japan with them would you take them to this place on their first day in japan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, starangeldragon! Thank you for your question.
    That would depend on the person, don't you think? Different people have different interests, so if they were the adventurous type, I'd say, why not? It's fun! But if they're quite conservative, I'd say skip it; the theme and concept may be too much.
    I assume you mentioned specifically that it was their first day in Japan to mean that it is their first time in Japan, as well? Well, that changes things. This restaurant is more for the experience than for the food. If it is their first time in Japan, there are many other things and places I would recommend trying out first before this place. So if it were up to me, my answer would be: No, I would not take someone to this place on their first day in Japan.
    I hope this answers your question!

    ReplyDelete