Sunday, July 14, 2013

Izu

I went to the Izu Peninsula today.
The road, beautifully lined with trees on each side.
We went to a place called Numazu first for brunch/lunch. Because it was right by a sea port, the fish (and seafood) were really fresh. 
We went to a kaiten sushi restaurant. The restaurant was really nice. The chefs and waiters were really welcoming, as they always are in sushi restaurants.
The place was pretty packed, queuing to the point of using a waiting list. However, the wait wasn't long. 
I've already been in Japan for over three months, yet I still have trouble reading the menu when it comes to sushi/sashimi. The kanji all have a fish radical, so I can tell they're fish, but I can never tell what they really are. As for the reading, I have no hope in guessing, either.
 
shirasu ice cream! o_0 Supposedly the number one popular item on the menu.. I didn't try it, though.
Then, we went to a famous park in Mishima, where there was a river/pond that had water that was melted from Mount Fuji. Am I the only one that finds that amazing? Since the water is so clean, it’s actually drinkable.
There were so many families (with kids), probably because it was a Sunday.
Once again, my favorite ashiyu, except this one had cold water. =\
Observation Deck #1
This is Kakita River's Spring. The fallen rain and melted snow around Mt. Fuji infiltrates underground and rises up as spring water. This happens once every 26 - 28 years.
Sweet fish live in this river. The sweet fish is a freshwater fish of the sweet fish family living in clean streams. It is approximately 30 centimeters long, its body streamlined with an oil fin. It eats the moss that grows on the stones of the riverbed. Unfortunately, no matter how hard I looked, I couldn't find any in the river that day.
Observation Deck #2
Water in this spring is drinkable, thus tossing coins is not permitted at this spring. 
Fish can be seen swimming about here.
Sunshine and sand produce intriguing colors on the water. The temperature of the water is stable and the water level hardly changes. This keeps the river the same as it was many years ago.
湧水広場
Yuusui Hiroba
The water was so cold!
八つ橋:The Wooden Walkway
The middle of Kakita River
湧き間: Wakima Springs
The springs here come in various shapes and sizes. This one is called Funatsukiba and the two circles seen above are actually wells that were once used by a paper manufacturing company.
private party?
Heart-shaped tree trunks that were discovered by a couple (below).
After walking the walkway and looking around the park, we went to a cafe next to the parking lot for some coffee.
The coffee here was made with the clean spring water. I didn't think it was anything special, though. However, I didn't try the water by itself, so I'm not one to judge.
And to end my quiet coffee break with this praying mantis! which, to my surprise, was crawling on top of the chair I was sitting on!
After that, we drove over the Atami, which was about an hour away. I actually had no clue what was at Atami. My friend just recommended me to go there, but I forgot to ask what there was to do there. Nonetheless, we went to the beach, since Atami’s name is literally "hot ocean". The beach was dirtier than the other beaches I’ve been to in Japan so far. It was also really small and filled with obnoxious teenagers, but we weren’t there to swim or stay for long, so in the end, it didn’t bother me that much.
Perhaps it was because of the gloomy weather that I didn't feel much about this place.
The Lover's Sanctuary
If a couple places their hands on the hand prints, their love will be eternal (so they say). 
The love pillar
crabs!
The drive back was really long. Since it was a Sunday, there was also a lot of traffic. 

Funny sign I saw in a public restroom we stopped by on our drive back. I didn't think people at this time and age needed directions on how to use a modern toilet.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment