Thursday, July 11, 2013

feeling the earth

As I was rushing up the stairs of Akihabara to transfer to the Sobu line, my shoes decided to fail me. The front of my right shoe completely snapped and left me dumbfounded. It took a few minutes for me to register what had happened, as my bare foot landed on the cold platform floor, and I turned around to watch as my shoe rolled down the staircase. But I needed to get to class and going home would take longer, so I had to walk to school from Akihabara barefoot. :( One thing I realized: Tokyo grounds burnnnnn.
Well, Sophia doesn't sell shoes, but Senda-sensei gave me two safety pins which I used to reattached the snapped part and that lasted me until the afternoon, when I went shoe shopping with a friend who came to visit from the States.
We went to an izakaya to talk and catch up.
And then my friend, Ayaka suggested clubbing out of the blue (because my time was running short :< ). So we went clubbing in Roppongi that night and stayed out till the morning. Roppongi is probably one of the sleaziest places in Tokyo. It's dirty, rundown, and very noisy with a bunch of foreigners. There's garbage on the floor everywhere and many people just stand around outside, wasting time or trying to get customers.
A club that was actually shut down due to an accident last year, where the owner was killed.
We went to a couple of places that night, but the two main places we went back and forth to were Gas Panic and Jumanji55. EVERYWHERE was crowded. To the point of not being able to move. Literally, the place was jam-packed with people.
It was one of the recommended clubs I heard of, but it is definitely not one of my recommendations. There is no cover charge and drinks are cheap, but it is sooooo crowded and cramped.
This place is slightly better, with a cover charge of ¥1000, but all you can drink (for the ladies only).
So about clubbing in Japan, indeed, it is very different from New York. I thought it was only ageHa that was different, but after I've been here, I can assure that New York is still the best. While there are a lot of hook-ups and pick-ups happening in NYC, at least people try to have a normal conversation with you before trying to get your number or whatever. Here, people just try to get into your pants right away. And also, clubbing in Japan does not involve any dancing at all, and I don't even think it has anything to with space. Even if the place was bigger, I think people would still be the same.
So I got bored really quickly and just drank my life away. Later on, we wandered around outside Roppongi and stumbled across the Fujifilm building. I had to best time there doing stuff I can't remember. haha
like doing splits
and passing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment