Monday, April 22, 2013

snow potato?

I went to Shin-Okubo briefly today, since I had a break between classes. Shin-Okubo is the Korea-town in Japan. And no doubt about it, the neighborhood had a huge Korean atmosphere to it. It really reminded me of some of the local streets in Seoul, filled with shops selling cosmetics, Korean food, and pop culture items, such as K-Pop goodies, CDs, etc. There were also a lot of bars, nightclubs, and restaurants, so one of these days, I will go there to check it out.
As I walked down the streets, there were many small open shops selling street food, such as ddeokbokki, patbingsu, etc. Well, I stopped by a small shop selling "snow" (スノー) items because one of their items caught my eye: snow potato スノーポテト. I had no clue what it was; I just saw a swirly snack on a kebab stick and thought it looked interesting. It was placed under the dessert section, but it was a fried potato, so I couldn't tell if it was sweet or salty. Nevertheless, I bought it anyway and decided to just try it for the heck of it.
And the answer is... salty!
It was pretty good; interesting, at least. It was like potato chips on a stick, except with the texture of french fries. There was sour cream and onion powder sprinkled on top, so it reminded me of sour cream and onion potato chips. But it was served hot, fresh out of the fryer.

No comments:

Post a Comment